Register Your School
- Any school in the world that wishes to administer AP Exams must follow standard procedures. Start by completing a few simple steps to get approved.
- Read details about deadlines, security policies, and procedures for ordering, administering, and paying for exams.
- Keep your school's AP contacts current. For security purposes, AP can only discuss your school's AP program administration with the AP contacts indicated on your school's AP Participation Form. AP coordinators need to complete the AP Participation Form online at the start of the school year. If the designated AP coordinator or alternate AP coordinator changes at your school, the contact information should be updated through AP Registration and Ordering as soon as possible.
- AP Exam orders are submitted in November the year prior to exams.
Administer the AP Exam
- AP Exams are administered annually in the first 2 weeks of May. If you administer an AP Exam off-schedule, your students' scores may be subject to cancellation.
- Your school can decide whether to permit students from other schools and homeschooled students to take AP Exams at your school.
Testing in China
Information for Schools in China
Not every school in China is permitted to administer AP Exams, even if authorized to offer AP courses. Your school will be informed at the time you receive your AP School Code if you’re able to administer exams or not:
- Schools authorized by the AP Program to administer AP Exams should follow standard procedures for exam administration. These schools may choose to administer AP Exams to their own students as well as to external students. Students attending these schools should get information about AP Exams from their school's AP coordinator.
- Schools governed by the Chinese Ministry of Education that serve Chinese nationals must instruct their students to take AP Exams at designated test centers. AP will provide testing information to these schools separately. Students attending these schools should get information from the school's AP coordinator about how to register to take AP Exams at their designated AP test center.
Information for Students in China
- Chinese nationals: Students interested in taking AP Exam subjects not offered at AP test centers in mainland China, as well as students not eligible to register at a test center in mainland China, have the option to register with the authorized test center in Hong Kong. Check with the test center for registration policies and procedures. Students attending an AP school will receive instructions from their AP coordinator on registering with their designated AP test center.
- Foreign nationals studying in China: International students who aren’t at an AP school or who are visiting/traveling in China during the exam period can find a testing location by contacting AP Services for Students. These students will be referred to an AP school that administers AP Exams and may accept external students. Students attending an AP school will receive instructions from their AP coordinator.
- Note: Students must be registered for AP Exams by November prior to the testing year—registration deadlines will vary. Not all schools/test centers offer registration past November and those that do may charge late registration fees.
Testing at Alternate Schools or Open Test Centers
Students from schools that do not offer AP Exams or self-study/homeschooled students can find an alternate school for testing or take the exams at any open AP test center.
Find test centers authorized by the AP Program in:
Fees, subjects offered, registration deadlines, and additional testing policies vary at these authorized test centers.
If you're sending students to test at another school or an AP test center, your school will only receive a student's scores if:
- Your school is indicated in the student's registration in My AP as the school they attend.
- A student taking an individual course at your school is enrolled in the corresponding class section for that subject through My AP.
AP Services for Educators
If your school is considering adding AP or if you have questions, contact AP Services for Educators:
Live Chat: A blue Live Chat button will appear on the right side of an AP Central page when a direct connection to an AP Services for Educators representative is available during business hours.