Preparing for a Successful Testing Experience
All student audio responses (oral free-response tasks in AP French, German, Italian, and Spanish Language and Culture, and sight singing free-response tasks in AP Music Theory) must be submitted online through the Digital Audio Submission (DAS) portal.
What Is DAS?
The DAS portal is a website that schools will use to efficiently and securely upload and submit students' recorded responses. The DAS portal is used only for submitting files to the AP Program. It is not a recording method.
The DAS portal works like this:
- In April, AP coordinators at schools that ordered AP French, German, Italian, or Spanish Language and Culture Exams or AP Music Theory Exams receive an email with DAS portal access information.
- Each AP coordinator and school staff member needing access to the DAS portal must have their own account. After creating an account, the AP coordinator receives access information to share with any other school staff who will help with uploading and submitting students' recorded responses. With this information, school staff create their own accounts. (Note: Because AP French, German, Italian, and Spanish Language and Culture teachers and AP Music Theory teachers cannot have any access to student recordings, these teachers are not permitted to have DAS portal accounts or any access to the DAS portal. Teachers can still serve as proctors for exams in a subject area other than the one in which they teach or have taught. See the AP Coordinator’s Manual, Part 2 for details.)
- During the exam, students record their responses using digital recording technology. Recorded responses are saved and named following the AP Exam Instructions.
- After the exam, school staff ensure that all student response files are accessible on a computer. School staff log in to the DAS portal from a computer with internet access, select the exam name in the portal, upload each student's recorded response file, and submit all files to the AP Program for scoring.
For more information, review AP Digital Audio Submission (DAS) Help 2020-21.
- A computer (Mac or PC) with access to the internet
- Access to the student audio response files
- Supported web browsers: Firefox 84, Google Chrome 88, Internet Explorer 11, Safari 14
Deadline to Submit Responses
Upload and submit files as soon as possible—no later than the close of the next business day following your school’s latest scheduled exam of a particular AP Exam administration (Administration 1, 2, or 3). Submitting files after this point could result in score delay.
AP Coordinator's Manual, Part 1 2020-21
This manual provides detailed information about everything AP coordinators need to do from the start of the school year through the November 13 exam ordering deadline.
AP Coordinator's Manual, Part 2 2020-21Updated May 2021
This manual provides detailed information about this year’s paper and pencil AP Exams, including exam administration policies and procedures and post-exam tasks.
AP Digital Audio Submission (DAS) Help 2020-21
A step-by-step guide to using the DAS portal to upload and submit students’ recorded responses.